Wounded but unbroken

My car abruptly swerves
to the side of the road.
A mere song on the radio
brings me to a stunned emotional stop.
The words slam into me
with the force of truth
and I realize they are the words
you have been saying to me for so long
through your actions
your reactions
your silences
and your touch
but that you have never found
the strength to speak aloud to me.
The love I feel for you
has always blocked me from accepting
the looming, sad reality
that you will never
truly return that feeling.
Your heart is not mine and never will be,
and I can’t make you feel for me something
you never have and probably never will,
at least not before it’s too late
and I’ve taken my wounded
but unbroken
heart and found another home for it.
My eyes fill with tears of sorrow
and frustration
and disappointment
as I try to decide whether I have
the strength to speak aloud to you
any of this and set us both free.
I wonder,
if you heard this same song
at this point in our affair,
would you sense the same truth in it
and find a way to tell me
something
other than that you don’t know
how you feel about me?
I doubt that you would,
just as I doubt I will ever find a way
to let you go first.

Comments

Nunya said…
Hey, I'm really glad to see you posting poetry and prose here. I liked this one, it reminded me of one I'm going to share with you, which I call

Past the Exit

light speed along
the time and space continuum

hurtling headlong through clear blue air
over fertile prairie asphalt

trying to carry what can't be kept
while leaving freedom dead on the shoulder

there was once a beginning
there was once a destination

but somehow
along the way
this journey turned upon itself

don’t wait up for me
turn your Porsche lights off

it seems i've stayed on past the exit
Anonymous said…
Hey, thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it. You have a site somewhere?
Nunya said…
http://smileatme.blogspot.com

http://www.eliteskills.com/u/Sandburg
Anonymous said…
Dave!!! Long time, man. I've been so out of the loop, It's really good to be reading you again.

Popular posts from this blog

Waiting for a clue

Candy